After Downing Street
Jan. 13, 2008
Congressman Robert Wexler is organizing his colleagues to ask House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers to begin Cheney impeachment hearings. Wexler is asking his fellow Judiciary Committee Members to co-sign a letter to Conyers. We support Wexler in this, and we are also asking congress members not on the committee to send their own letters to Conyers. Please Email your Congress Member here: http://www.democrats.com/peoplesemailnetwork/125
Then please call the Capitol Hill Switchboard: (202) 224-3121. They can tell you who your Congress Member is if you don’t know, and they can connect you to their office. Ask your representative to urge Chairman Conyers to begin impeachment hearings against Dick Cheney. This is especially important if your representative is a member of the Judiciary Committee. Once you’ve sent your Email and made your phone call, please urge everyone you know to do the same. If you have further time to help advance impeachment, please call and Email the media.
54% of Americans want Cheney impeached, as do 64% of Vermonters.
Congressman Dennis Kucinich was the first member of Congress to lead the way in April 2007. H. Res. 333, Articles of Impeachment Against Dick Cheney (reintroduced on Nov. 6, 2007, as H Res 799), is sponsored by the following Members of Congress: Jan Schakowsky, Maxine Waters, Hank Johnson, Keith Ellison, Lynn Woolsey, Barbara Lee, Albert Wynn, William Lacy Clay, Dennis Kucinich, Yvette Clarke, Jim McDermott, Jim Moran, Bob Filner, Sam Farr, Robert Brady, Tammy Baldwin, Donald Payne, Steve Cohen, Sheila Jackson Lee, Carolyn Kilpatrick, Ed Towns, Diane Watson, Danny Davis, Raul Grijalva, Gwen Moore. Please thank them and encourage them to whip their colleagues.
Robert Wexler, Tammy Baldwin, and Luis Gutierrez are urging the initiation of hearings and are joined in this by Anthony Weiner. Mike Michaud has written to Chairman Conyers calling for Cheney impeachment hearings. Tim Mahoney is open to the idea of impeachment hearings.
What are the charges against Vice President Cheney? Here they are.
What can you do?
3. Help lobby members of the House Judiciary Committee and Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Contact contributors to House Judiciary Committee members.
Grassroots Impeachment Activists Are Making a Difference
* John Nirenberg, a retired college professor, has completed a 40-day march from Boston to Washington D.C., where he will ask Speaker Nancy Pelosi to begin impeachment hearings. He’s garnered a great deal of media attention along the way and has planned a press conference for noon on January 16th on the Cannon House Office Building Terrace. Watch the end of the march: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30080
* Citizens with “Impeach” on their shirts ordered not to view the U.S. Constitution at the National Archives: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30068
* Lois Capp’s constituents baked her an impeachment pie: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30079
* New Hampshire Democratic Party event explodes when Kucinich says the word “Impeach” – http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30065
* Big name impeachment debate shakes up North Carolina: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30058
* Veterans for Peace bring impeachment to Rep. Pete Visclosky’s (D-IN) Town Hall Meetings: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30051
* Yet another ACLU chapter backs impeachment: http://afterdowningstreet.org/aclu
* Cindy Sheehan to deliver huge stack of pro-impeachment letters to Speaker Nancy Pelosi: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29986
* Subcommittee on the Constitution Chairman Jerrold Nadler’s constituents repeatedly protest in his office and go to jail asking for impeachment hearings: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29969 and http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29809
* First newspaper editorializes for Cheney impeachment: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29955
* Viggo Mortensen, John Kaminski, Dennis Kucinich, John Nichols, and David Swanson speak at New Hampshire forum for impeachment. Video: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29968
* The Washington and New Hampshire state legislatures are taking up impeachment resolutions this month. The first hearing in Olympia is scheduled for January 17th. Here are details on Washington and New Hampshire, plus the list of resolutions already passed around the country:
http://afterdowningstreet.org/wa and http://afterdowningstreet.org/nh and http://impeachpac.org/resolutions-list
* Maine impeachment activism leads conservative Democratic congress member Mike Michaud to ask Conyers to begin Cheney impeachment hearings: http://afterdowningstreet.org/me
Boycott General Electric
General Electric corporate family member NBC has rewritten its criteria for including candidates in debates specifically to exclude a real peace candidate, Dennis Kucinich. GE is a major weapons manufacturer.
Less than 44 hours after NBC sent a congratulatory note and an invitation to Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich to participate in the Jan. 15 Democratic Presidential debate in Las Vegas, the network notified the campaign that it was changing it announced criteria, rescinding its invitation, and excluding Kucinich from the debate.
Start Planning for March 2008
Start planning your local and national actions to demand peace and impeachment in March 2008 here:
FAIR USE NOTICE: This blog may contain copyrighted material. Such material is made available for educational purposes, to advance understanding of human rights, democracy, scientific, moral, ethical, and social justice issues, etc. This constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.