Reams have been written about the appearance of Tony Blair at the so-called inquiry. Very few if any have even come close to identifying the real nature of the beast called Tony Blair.
Were he a working class man, head of a crime gang for example, Blair’s ‘pathology’ would have been central to most mainstream media coverage, revealing the class bias in how the the media treat the ruling elites. His judgment, even his arrogance maybe questioned but not his mental state.
There seems to be some disagreement over what constitutes a sociopath or psychopath but in trawling the web I came across all kinds of definitions. For example,
not learning from experience
no sense of responsibility
inability to form meaningful relationships
inability to control impulses
lack of moral sense
chronically antisocial behavior
no change in behavior after punishment
lack of guilt
self-centeredness — 9types.com
Dictionary.com put it this way:
“[A] person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.“ — dictionary.com
All the sources I looked at came to pretty much the same conclusion and with all of them sharing the following criteria: No sense of responsibility; lack of moral sense; lack of guilt; self-centeredness; not learning from experience. Others stress the psychopath’s inability to empathize. And here’s a quote from another site that has gathered together a summation of all the different interpretations of the word/s.
“They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.” — http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html
And under the heading of ‘Shallow Emotions’ we read,
“When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.”
When searching through the sources I came across the following, also taken from the mcafee site that really hits the spot as a description not only of Tony Blair but of many people in positions that give them virtually absolute power over people’s lives (and deaths).
THE MALIGNANT PERSONALITY:
These people are mentally ill and extremely dangerous!
The following precautions will help to protect you from the destructive acts of which they are capable.
First, to recognize them, keep the following guidelines in mind.
(1) They are habitual liars. They seem incapable of either knowing or telling the truth about anything.
(2) They are egotistical to the point of narcissism. They really believe they are set apart from the rest of humanity by some special grace.
(3) They scapegoat; they are incapable of either having the insight or willingness to accept responsibility for anything they do. Whatever the problem, it is always someone else’s fault.
(4) They are remorselessly vindictive when thwarted or exposed.
(5) Genuine religious, moral, or other values play no part in their lives. They have no empathy for others and are capable of violence. Under older psychological terminology, they fall into the category of psychopath or sociopath, but unlike the typical psychopath, their behavior is masked by a superficial social facade.
If you have come into conflict with such a person or persons, do the following immediately!
(1) Notify your friends and relatives of what has happened. Do not be vague. Name names, and specify dates and circumstances. Identify witnesses if possible and provide supporting documentation if any is available.
Taken in part from MW — By Caroline Konrad — September 1999” — mcafee.cc