[tweetmeme source= “DandelionSalads” only_single=false]
Updated: added videos
Jerome Starkey, Kabul
April 5, 2010
US special forces soldiers dug bullets out of their victims’ bodies in the bloody aftermath of a botched night raid, then washed the wounds with alcohol before lying to their superiors about what happened, Afghan investigators have told The Times.
Two pregnant women, a teenage girl, a police officer and his brother were shot on February 12 when US and Afghan special forces stormed their home in Khataba village, outside Gardez in eastern Afghanistan. The precise composition of the force has never been made public.
The claims were made as Nato admitted responsibility for all the deaths for the first time last night. It had initially claimed that the women had been dead for several hours when the assault force discovered their bodies.
NATO night raids; civilian casualties
April 05, 2010 — NATO now admits that it was responsible for the deaths of three Afghan women during a night raid in Kabul on February 12, 2010. What Afghan officials have called a cover-up, NATO officials are saying was a mistake by its International forces. Jerome Starkey said that the families of the dead civilians told him they felt that their dead bodies had been violated and the troops dug the bullets out of them.
Kathy Kelly: NATO Night Raids
April 05, 2010 — NATO is now admitting that it was responsible for the deaths of three Afghan women during a nighttime raid in Kabul on February 12th, 2010. However, some Afghan officials are going as far to say the bodies were tampered with in an alleged cover-up of what really happened on that raid.