Revolution is one of those words that capture attention. When people think of revolution the War of Independence or the French Revolution come to mind. Revolution needn’t be that extreme, however, revolution is what is needed in what has become the most repressive and militarily expansive government on the face of the planet. The government I’m talking about isn’t Iran or North Korea, its The United States of America.
This country has been involved in one war or another since its inception. The years since the beginning of World War II have been a non-stop litany of horror for the people that have borne the brunt of our war-mongering and also the men and women of our Armed Forces that have been tasked with perpetuating them. The future does not bode well for peace. The fact is that any kind of “peace” has been “taken off the table” by the politicians that were elected by a minority of the population using sham political parties that no longer represent the people of the United States but the corporations that profit from the World’s largest war machine and support this nation’s war economy.
I had vowed to take time off to regroup and reconnect with the things and people I cherish. Things are moving too quickly for me to stop writing now. The draconian budget cuts that Obama has proposed on the backs of what is left of the Middle Class here in America should bring attention to what kind of government we have. This is a government that supports the corporate oligarchy, not the working man. Compromising on the Bush tax cuts for the rich is extremely telling. He would rather cut Medicare and Social Security than fall into disfavor with the people with the power behind the throne.
Pointing the finger at those that refused to vote is pointless. There were no real choices in most of the elections that would have offered any meaningful change. The Democrats and Republicans are one corporate party that both dance to the tune of their corporate benefactors. These two political parties will legislate the American working class into oblivion. This nation’s rulers and corporations have no need for the amount of workers that we have in this nation. Why employ American workers when they can use robotic assembly lines and cheap foreign labor?
The only thing they have not taken into consideration is the backlash of the people that have been excised from the American dream. Where will they find substance for their families? What will happen to the anger that will grow when people no longer have meaningful work to do?
The government has implemented draconian laws under the guise if “fighting the terrorist threat” using the Patriot Act among other legislation. The focus of The Department of Homeland Security isn’t on a foreign “terrorist threat” it’s on American citizens. Recently Obama declared that “We are not at war with Islam” on his trip to Indonesia. He was correct. We are not only at war with Islam; we are at war with anyone that opposes the United States, including American dissidents.
Yesterday Michael Chossudovsky writing for Global Research presented a government that is out of control. (1) The distressing message that he conveyed is that we Americans are the only ones that can stop this ride to not only destroying America’s working class, but igniting a conflagration that will bring about the end of humanity itself. These are his precepts:
What has to be achieved:
- Reveal the criminal nature of this military project,
- Break once and for all the lies and falsehoods which sustain the “political consensus” in favor of a pre-emptive nuclear war.
- Undermine war propaganda, reveal the media lies, reverse the tide of disinformation, wage a consistent campaign against the corporate media
- Break the legitimacy of the war-mongers in high office.
- Dismantle the US sponsored military adventure and its corporate sponsors.
- Bring Home the Troops
- Repeal the illusion that the State is committed to protecting its citizens..
- Expose the “fake crises” such as the global flu pandemic as a means to distract public opinion from the dangers of a global war.
- Uphold 9/11 Truth. Reveal the falsehoods behind 9/11 which are used to justify the Middle East Central Asian war under the banner of the “Global War on Terrorism” (GWOT)
- Expose how a profit driven war serves the vested interests of the banks, the defense contractors, the oil giants, the media giants and the biotech conglomerates
- Challenge the corporate media which deliberately obfuscates the causes and consequences of this war,
- Reveal and take cognizance of the unspoken and tragic outcome of a war waged with nuclear weapons.
- Call for the Dismantling of NATO
- Implement the prosecution of war criminals in high office
- Close down the weapons assembly plants and implement the foreclosure of major weapons producers
- Close down all US military bases in the US and around the World
- Develop an antiwar movement within the Armed Forces and establish bridges between the Armed Forces and the civilian antiwar movement
- Forcefully pressure governments of both NATO and non-NATO countries to withdraw from the US led global military agenda.
- Develop a consistent antiwar movement in Israel. Inform the citizens of Israel of the likely consequences of a US-NATO-Israeli attack on Iran..
- Confront Target the pro-war lobby groups including the pro-Israeli groups in the US
- Dismantle the homeland security state, call for the repeal of the PATRIOT legislation
- Call for the removal of the military from civilian law enforcement. Call for the enforcement of the Posse Comitatus Act
- Call for the demilitarization of outer space and the repeal of Star Wars
This entire scenario that Chossudovsky presents is daunting to say the least. Still, it seems to me that it is the only way that we are going to stop the powers that be from reducing planet Earth into a cinder. The economic destruction of the Middle Class is just the beginning of their campaign to rule the world with impunity. We have a choice. What we do with that choice is completely up to us. We cannot wait until we have nothing left to lose. We must start now to change the direction of our country.
Economic enslavement eventually turns to political enslavement. Political enslavement is the goal of both political parties that rule in the United States. The so-called Tea Party has it only half-right. The party that they look to free them from political enslavement is as much a slave-master as the party they oppose. We need to operate on every level in every direction. It doesn’t matter if you are talking to a right winger, left winger, conservative or liberal or anyone in-between. Just tell them what you know, even if you have to scream at the top of your lungs. This is our fight. Nobody is going to do it for us. Either join the fight or accept the consequences. Don’t tell me it can’t be done. It can be done; it’s just a matter of will and self-preservation.