Listen, we have Christmas coming soon. How about a real Christmas gift from our government? This gift will surely, I guarantee it, be appreciated not only by our fellow Americans, but by the entire world! The beauty of this gift is that it will cost our government NOTHING:
- Shut down the 750 plus US military bases worldwide and bring our troops and other personnel HOME! While we are at it, we can release all the private military contractors and let them file for unemployment or find another country to milk.
- Cut our bloated military budget ( now approx. 48 cents of every federal tax dollar received ) in HALF! We still can have plenty of funds to defend our nation and keep a standing army, navy and air force.
- Draw down the overabundant number of nukes and other WMD that were never needed in such numbers… Or at all.
- Take that 24 cents of every tax dollar we are saving on excessive military spending and funnel it for infrastructure improvements, Medicare for All Americans, development of renewal energies, community owned non profit mortgage banks, federal block grants for our cities for more teachers, nurses, police, fire personnel, health care workers, and other essential services…. Like negotiating with the corrupt banks holding bad mortgage paper to buy those mortgages at discounted prices ; and then getting those foreclosed and under water homes OFF the market with a viable repayment plan for the homeowners. If the politicians want real ECONOMIC STIMULUS… THIS IS IT!
There is so much more that can be gifted , yet for now perhaps this will be a good start. Happy Holidays…. I hope!
Philip A. Farruggio is son and grandson of Brooklyn NYC longshoremen. He is an activist leader and free lance columnist. Since the 2000 elections, he has written over 200 columns, many posted on various sites worldwide. Recently, he is finding a home at www.dandelionsalad.wordpress.com, New Jersey activist Ed Dunphy’s progressivepatriots.net or at his own blog at www.opensalon.com. Philip can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I Cry Instead by Philip A. Farruggio (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)