Updated: Nov. 10, 2011; added video of Chomsky’s speech.
by Noam Chomsky
November 03, 2011
2011 City of Sydney Peace Prize Lecture
For centuries, Europe had been the most violent place on earth, with murderous and destructive internal conflicts and the forging of a culture of war that enabled Europe to conquer most of the world, shocking the victims, who were hardly pacifists, but were “appalled by the all-destructive fury of European warfare,” in the words of British military historian Geoffrey Parker. And enabled Europe to impose on its conquests what Adam Smith called “the savage injustice of the Europeans,” England in the lead, as he did not fail to emphasize. The global conquest took a particularly horrifying form in what is sometimes called “the Anglosphere,” England and its offshoots, settler-colonial societies in which the indigenous societies were devastated and their people dispersed or exterminated. But since 1945 Europe has become internally the most peaceful and in many ways most humane region of the earth – which is the source of some its current travail, an important topic that I will have to put aside.
WorldNewsAustralia on Nov 2, 2011
US philosopher Noam Chomsky talks about the transformation taking place in the Arab world, what lies ahead for Libya and the Middle East conflict.
AAPVid on Nov 7, 2011
Professor of Linguistics and political activist Noam Chomsky is presented with the 2011 Sydney Peace Prize at a gala dinner held in his honour at Sydney University on November 3, 2011. The peace prize is presented to Chomsky by Aboriginal leader and former peace prize recipient Patrick Dodson.
Filmed and edited by Tom Compagnoni for AAP
- Noam Chomsky Addresses Occupy Boston Protesters (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Noam Chomsky on Dilemmas in Humanitarian Intervention (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Noam Chomsky on Israel-Palestine Prisoner Exchange, U.S. Assassination Campaign in Yemen (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Noam Chomsky on the Responsibility of Intellectuals: Redux (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Noam Chomsky: U.S. has ‘extreme contempt for democracy’ + Chomsky’s core message to humanity (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)