with Chris Hedges
Nov. 27, 2011
Nov. 23, 2011
It has been over two months since Adbusters, a Canadian magazine, sent out a call to protest the inequality of our financial system by physically occupying Zuccotti Park in lower Manhattan. With a rallying cry of “We are the 99 Percent,” protestors set up camp on September 17th to articulate the deep frustration felt by those who have been affected by an economic crisis manufactured by financial institutions. The protest has since expanded from that single gathering in New York’s financial district to a global movement which has seen over 1000 encampments. Claiming that the camps have created unsafe conditions, mayors across the country have scrambled to dismantle the tent cities, coordinating with local police forces, the FBI, and Homeland Security to plan raids. In the wake of a conference call between 18 city mayors, police have ramped up their efforts and disbanded over a dozen tent cities in the past two weeks, including the birthplace of the Occupy movement in Zuccotti Park. The police action on November 15th took place at 1am in order to avoid media coverage. Activists are still not allowed to set up camp in the park overnight. Meanwhile the LA Times is reporting that some members of Occupy Los Angeles have been informed that city officials want the encampment in front of City Hall dismantled by Monday November 28th. However, LAPD officials and city officials speaking to the Times were not able to confirm it.
Chris Hedges spent two decades as a foreign reporter covering wars in Latin America, Africa, Europe and the Middle East. His latest books are Death of the Liberal Class, and The World as It Is: Dispatches on the Myth of Human Progress.
from the archives:
- This Is What Revolution Looks Like by Chris Hedges + OWS: Police Brutality and Eviction Destruction (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Finding Freedom in Handcuffs by Chris Hedges (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- A Master Class in Occupation by Chris Hedges (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Repression Expands Resistance by Ralph Nader (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- OWS: Chris Hedges, Rev. Billy and other protesters arrested at Goldman Sachs (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)