You all recall what happened in China during the 60s and 70s? They had this ‘Cultural Revolution‘ whereupon:
“The Revolution was launched in May 1966. Mao alleged that bourgeois elements were entering the government and society at large, aiming to restore capitalism. He insisted that these “revisionists” be removed through violent class struggle. China’s youth responded to Mao’s appeal by forming Red Guard groups around the country. The movement spread into the military, urban workers, and the Communist Party leadership itself. It resulted in widespread factional struggles in all walks of life. In the top leadership, it led to a mass purge of senior officials who were accused of deviating from the socialist path, most notably Liu Shaoqi and Deng Xiaoping. “
Now, I am not advocating violence in any manner, shape or form. Rather, I think that, since ‘Capitalism gone wild‘ has struck America, perhaps we too need some sort of Cultural Revolution to peacefully tame this beast. Since most of you reading this are part of the 99%, or more accurately part of the 99+ % (since the millionaires make up less that 1% of us) why not use our overwhelming numbers and :
- Refuse to vote for anyone who is a millionaire.
- Run candidates for all elected offices who come from 9 to 5 jobs… period!
- Begin weekly, then daily, demonstrations nationwide, in front of the local offices of our elected officials, the Congress, White House, the Wall Street shark firms, the big banks who screwed us, any corporation (meaning most of them) where the CEOS earn in excess of a million a year.
Once this American Cultural Revolution takes hold, we should then proceed to step 2:
- All millionaires (especially mega millionaires) will be investigated and reviewed by a court of inquiry. Whatever acts someone committed upon either his employees or tenants or whomever, will be posted on a sign that he or she must wear each time they appear in public. Something like: I hired illegals and paid them lousy wages or I was a slumlord who never took care of my renters or I earned 50 million as CEO and cut the pay and benefits of my employees or maybe I lied and caused phony wars and occupations, earning billions for my friends and family. You get my drift, right?
- Anytime one of these folks is seen in public, we the 99+ % have the right to PULL THEIR PANTS OR DRESSES DOWN TO THEIR KNEES. Just like that. No violence, no pain inflicted. Just pull em down and walk away.
- Oh, and of course, establish a new Flat Surtax of 90% on all income over one million per year. They will still be millionaires… we wouldn’t want to be called Communists now would we?
Philip A. Farruggio is son and grandson of Brooklyn, NYC longshoremen. He is a free lance columnist (usually found on the fine Dandelion Salad site), an environmental products sales rep and an activist. Since 2010, Philip is a spokesperson for the 25% Solution Movement to Save Our Cities by cutting military spending 25%. Philip can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.